Thursday, September 1, 2011

FOG, CHEESE AND WEINER SCHNITZEL

September 1, 2011  Dateline: Milwaukee, WI USA
Yesterday I spent the day in Port Washington.  When I got up in the morning the waves in Lake Michigan were breaking over the sea wall so Rich and I concluded that it would not be a good idea to leave.
This morning when I woke up I could not see the sea wall as the fog was incredibly dense.  My friend PASSPORT must have left in the dark as they were gone.  PASSPORT had a long trip today to Northpoint, and they travel at only 7.5 knots.
After taking on some diesel I headed out into the fog for Milwaukee.  With the route in my auto pilot all Rich had to do was to watch the radar and make sure I wasn’t going to hit anything.
Milwaukee is the largest town that I have visited on this trip.  Since Wisconsin is noted for its cheese, Carol took Rich into the German Old World Section of town to see the Wisconsin Cheese Mart and Bar.  As you enter the store you are greeted by a cow in a cowboy hat.  The Bar side of the store sells alcohol and cheese at a bar. They also checked out Usinger’s homemade sausage store.
There are important issues facing this nation.  The Milwaukee Press put the most important issue on the front page of today’s edition.






I have never seen a bridge like this one in downtown Milwaukee.  It is a lift bridge, but rather than there being a structure above the road bed to lift it this one has two hydraulic jacks that lift the road bed up so a boat can pass under it.




Rich and Carol walked past a store called the Spice House.  It smelled just like the Baltimore Spice Company when Rich worked there.  That was long before I was born, so I can only report on what he told me.
Upon return to the marina, Rich and Carol met their friends Wayne and Francine.  I knew they were here because their boat My Way pulled into the slip next to me earlier in the afternoon.  They all went to Mader’s, a German restaurant for dinner and to celebrate Wayne and Francine’s 42nd wedding anniversary.  


Tomorrow I head off to Racine, WI

No comments:

Post a Comment