Thursday, May 10, 2012

LONG SLOW DISTANCE (LSD)

May 9, 2012    Dateline: St. Augustine, FL USA
Today was a day of long slow distance, traveled 70 miles from New Smyrna Beach to St. Augustine, FL on the Intercoastal Waterway (ICW).  The 70 miles took nearly 7 hours. A trawler that left the marina next to where I stayed arrive in St. Augustine 45 minutes after me.  I traveled at trawler speed---not fun.
The marina at New Smyrna Beach had a small island located to next to it.  This island was covered with egrets and pelicans.  The landings that they made were amazing.  They would come in for a landing and almost hover before touching down on a space no larger than their bodies.  There was a high level of noise from the birds as they argued over space on the island.  There was also the strong odor of fish in area.
Carol had figured out how to set my depth gauge to warn Rich when I get too close to shallow water.  It is a very useful tool in going up the ICW which is a narrow canal with very shallow areas on each side of it.  I noticed that Rich was developing a technique for steering me based on the depth readings.
One of the bridges I passed under had mosaic tile art work wrapped around each support pillar.  They must have been very expensive and time consuming to apply, and of course they are only visible from the water.


I passed what appeared to be an old Navy tug tied to the coast of the ICW.  Based on the clothes hanging on the side of it must now be someone’s home.

You have all seen bed and breakfasts along the side of the road.  Rich had to explain to me what this place was that I passed.  I thought that the fish head coming out of the roof was a rather nice touch.  Based on the number of slips under the building, it does not have very many rooms to rent.



After a long day I got to see the Lion Bridge which is a famous land mark of St. Augustine. I knew that the day was ending as the marina I am staying at is at the bottom of the bridge.



The day ended with Rich and Carol seeing some great friends, George and Jane, from PLAIN JANE.  I stayed behind while they all went to dinner.  I met and traveled with PLAIN JANE in the North Channel of Lake Huron.  It was great to see them again. I understand that Rich and Carol were trying to get them to do the Loop. They live in Florida but have left their boat in Sheboygan Michigan for the winter. A simple trip down the rivers and around Florida would bring their boat to their Florida home.

No comments:

Post a Comment