Monday, January 30, 2012

OFF TO KEY WEST

January 29, 2012  Dateline: Key West, FL USA

Rich and Carol got up early this morning and spent the next hour or so debating whether or not the weather window was good enough to make the run from Marco Island to Key West.  The debate centered on the strength of the wind, as it was blowing 10-15 knots out of the north-northeast.  They finally concluded that the wind would push me down to Key West so off we went.  The ride was nice but since the wind was blowing against my port side on the stern there were a couple of waves that made me roll, but no big deal.  The real issue was the lobster pots.  They were all over the place and since the wind created sizable waves they were difficult for Rich and Carol to see.  I got a vibration in my starboard propeller so I am afraid that I picked up a lobster pot rope.  A diver is coming this week to check me out.  I have heard that the owner of a boat in South Florida who says he never touched ground or did not pick up a lobster pot has either never taken his boat out of his slip or is lying.

The color of the water was a lovely aquamarine.  I suspect that this picture does not do it justice, but here it is.






When I arrived in Key West there were two cruise ships tied up.  Carol was able to get a picture of the smaller one.  The large one appeared to be about twice the size of the one she got a picture of.  I find it amazing when the life boats on these cruise ships are larger than I am.

I will be Key West for the next several days.  There are some friends of mine here, including Mary Francis and Algonquin.

No comments:

Post a Comment