Saturday, June 9, 2012

EASY DAYS FOR ME

June 3, 2012  Dateline: Georgetown, SC USA
It’s been a few easy days for me.  Yesterday, Rich and Carol continued their tour of Charleston.  For Rich it was more like when can we get back to the Moon Pie ® store? Suddenly Cindy said let’s go to the Moon Pie® store.  I understand Rich did not disagree with her and off they went. He bought at least 4 boxes of mini-Moon Pies and a Moon Pie baseball cap
Charleston has a sailing schooner named the PRIDE.  Rich got this picture of her out in the harbor under full sail, it sure is very pretty, but of course not as pretty as me.  They also saw the aircraft carrier Yorktown; she is a lot larger than I am and I bet she has a deeper draft.
The night before I left Charleston, Rich captured this sunset.







Well today I got up early and was on my way by 8 o’clock.  Rich asked the dockhand to help get me away from the slip.  I was on an inside slip against a bulkhead without a piling to separate me from the sailboat next to me and the current in the river was getting stronger.  Rich got me out without incident.
Of course, the Caterpillars had a lot to do with it.
Off we went, past Fort Sumter, past the sunken rock jetty, and then turned north. Rich set my autopilot, moved the throttles forward, and away we went.  The sea was flat and I enjoyed myself once again.  We arrived at Winyah Bay and there were some commercial fishing boats fishing in the channel of course.  Since these boats were draggers I stopped and waited until they were out of the way because neither Rich nor I knew where their nets were.  The dolphin and birds seemed to know because they were swimming and flying behind the fishing boats picking up the leftovers.
Georgetown, SC is about 17 miles up the Winyah Bay so it was a long ride up to the marina.  The good news is that the bay is wide and the channel well marked so I didn’t have to slow down.  The bay is tidal and where the marina is located and the current is very strong.  Rich came in to the marina and filled me with some diesel then he had to move me down the dock towards another boat with the current pushing me.  The owner of the other boat must have been nervous because he came out to watch the move.  Well I showed him how it is done and slide right back to where I needed to be, a touch of the Caterpillars in forward and I stopped exactly where I was supposed to.
Rich and Carol tied me up real good and put out my inflatable fenders so that they could leave me for two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment