Wednesday, June 15, 2011

3 MILES TO WATERFORD

Today was another easy day, Rich filled the fuel tanks this morning before entering the Erie Canal System.  I heard fuel is really expensive there and Rich paid $4.69 a gallon the other day.  There was a 48 foot Sea Ray who filled up just before me and took off for the Troy Federal Lock.  I only took 50 gallons and the dock master had the lock tender hold the lock gates open until I got there, so we went through together.  These one picture is of what I saw going into the lock and while the other was taken when the lock was full.  I was lifted about 13 feet.  The purpose of this lock is to stop the tidal waters from going any further north.  The Hudson is a flat river and it is tidal for more than 145 miles.  Once through the lock I was in fresh water and will not return to salt water until we get to Mobile Bay next year.
 
This is the famous sign that everyone on the Loop takes a picture of so, Rich had to take one too.  It is located in Waterford, NY.  Rich turned me starboard into the Erie Canal and we stopped for the day. Today was sunny and warm.  What a difference from yesterday.  Rich gave me a good bath and took down my anchor light to make sure I can get under the bridges.
Rich and Carol bought the lock pass so I can begin traveling the Erie Canal tomorrow.  While Rich and Carol were out walking I took a look at one of the books they left behind.  Within the next 2.0 miles I will be lifted 170 feet from where I am today by passing through 5 locks, and I thought the travel lift at Canyon Club picked me  up high.
While in Waterford, I was docked below a bridge that was about 3o feet above the water.  Four were jumping off the bridge into the water.  They were having a good time, but then the police came and that ended that fun.  That was almost as much fun as on time in Onancock, VA when I watched some kids ride a bicycle off the town dock into the creek.  That had a personal floatation device on the bike but nothing on them.  I guess they wanted to make sure the bike didn’t sink so they could do it again.  The white pole in the picture is my VHF antenna that Rich had to drop down so I could get under some of the low bridges.
Good news I saw a flock of geese heading north today, I guess, they must have changed their mind from yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment