Saturday, June 18, 2011

RAIN AND THE PWHF

June 17, 2011
Salt ‘n Sand reporting from the Mohawk River portion of the Erie Canal in a place called Amsterdam, NY.  The title of this post tells it all.  Rich and Carol told me that we were going to get up and get going early today. Getting up was the easy part.  Looking outside all they saw was water coming out of the sky.  Had they asked me I would have told them it had been raining for a while, I know because I was the one getting wet and keeping them dry.  Well they thought for two hours and then decided to get going. 
We had to go through only three small locks and we traveled about 29 miles to Amsterdam.  There was rain almost the whole way getting to Amsterdam, but someone smiled down on them as each time we went into a lock the rain stopped. 
They did stop me in a nice marina called Riverlink with a restaurant next door.  After they arrived in Amsterdam, they decided to go for a walk and they got caught in a big down pour, serves them right.  It was their turn to get wet.   I bet they just go to that restaurant next door tonight so they don’t get rained on again.
When they came back from their walk they told me that they saw the Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame or as it is known locally PWHF.
As I type this, Rich and Carol are having cheese and crackers, all I get is diesel fuel.
They did have dinner at the restaurant, they ate outside with the owners of Bavarian Creme.  Nice people from Louisiana, Bavarian Creme is from Germany.  They were staying in Amsterdam for another day.  They have the recipe for Bavarian Creme on the back of their boat card. 
The people here, I am told, are really nice.  At dinner one of the restaurant owners came and said he was going to the store and asked if any one anything, Carol said yes she needed a loaf of bread.  A little while he comes back and gives her a loaf of bread.  He would take nothing for it.
I thought that I would see a lot of other boats on the Loop.  So far I have only seen 5.  Rich told me that he had met three of the owners either in Cape May or at the Norfolk Rendezvous.  Perhaps I will catch up with some more along the way .
Here is a picture looking east from Riverlink.

No comments:

Post a Comment