Wednesday, November 30, 2011

THE COAST GUARD LEAVES IT MARK

November 30, 2011  Dateline Orange Beach, AL USA
As I got ready to leave Dog River Marina an alarm, that Rich asked to be repaired before he left for NJ, sounded.  The marina immediately sent three people onto the boat and found the alarm had been wired wrong sometime in the past.  With the help of a soldering gun and an electrician, I was quickly on my way.  The wind was coming out of the north so the ride down Mobile Bay was easy
After then I turned into the Intercostal Waterway the fun began.  Carol yelled at Rich wondering what the mud was coming up at my stern.  Suddenly I went bump, bump, bump as my propellers hit the mud bottom.  But I was in the channel.  Rich called a tow that was approaching me to warn him of the low spot.  The captain of the tow told Rich he knew of the shallow side of the channel.  Come on over to the side the tow is on and there is plenty of water there.  Ah the benefit of local knowledge.
I passed LuLu’s Restaurant which was owned and operated by Jimmy Buffet’s sister.  It is claimed that this where he got the idea of a Cheeseburger in Paradise.  It was a neat looking place but Rich and Carol did not want to stop, so on we went.




Ahead of us in a narrow channel was a Coast Guard patrol boat with its blue light flashing.  It pulled up alongside of me and two Coasties boarded.  It was a simple inspection and of course I passed with flying colors.  Since Coasties wear black boots they leave marks, like this one on my steps to the bridge.  Oh well, Rich now has something to do.

As you may recall, I commented on SLANTY SHANTY a few weeks ago.  I saw her again today on the water.  There were two guys on her now and no girl that I could see. It sure didn’t look like the Coast Guard stopped her.  I bet she would not have passed inspection.
I stopped today for the night  at a marina called the Wharf.  It is part of a condo complex that consists of “a main street" of stores, a Ferris wheel, a conference center, theater and several restaurants.    Here is a picture of the center Christmas tree and the Ferris wheel.
Tomorrow I am off to Pensacola.

No comments:

Post a Comment