Sunday, July 8, 2012

A DAY OF LASTS

July 8, 2012  Dateline: Gloucester Point, VA USA
My trip today would take me from Coinjock, VA to Gloucester Point, VA.  While the trip is 50 miles from Coinjock to Norfolk and then an additional 30 miles to Gloucester Point across the York River from Yorktown, the first 50 miles would take me 7 hours.  There were several bridges that had to be opened and a small lock traversed.  The bridges are timed on the ICW so that they only open on the hour or in some cases on the half hour, but the timing of them requires boaters to wait for at least one of them to open.  The early part of the trip is across a wide bay, not only is it wide but it is very shallow.  With the wind blowing on my port side Rich was always making adjustments to keep me in the narrow channel. Then when I cleared one of the bridges a tow was waiting on the other side to pass through.  It was a surprise to me to see this tow starting to move toward me. This was only the third tow I have encountered on the east coast.


Great Bridge Lock

Gilmerton Bridge

The day of the lasts included the following: a) the last new water that I had to travel over; b) the last bridge, Gilmerton, VA,  that had to be opened for us and finally the last lock, Great Bridge, VA, we went through.  The Gilmerton Bridge is in the process of being replaced so the picture looks like two bridges.

Mile Zero Point


Navy Boats

At Gloucester Point we meet up with my friend Mid-Life Cry Seas II and her owners John and Kelly.  I will be traveling with them for the next week.  A very serious thunder storm passed through Gloucester Point, VA.  The lighting strikes were close and the thunder shook me a few times, but it passed through with no incidents.

When I got to Mile -0- on the ICW Carol completed the Loop and now all three of us have done it.  Norfolk harbor is an amazing place with all of the Navy vessels that are there being worked on or being stored.

2 comments:

  1. congrads Carol you are now fully looped!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Realy enjoyed reading about your journey Miss Salt 'N Sands and your best freinds your 2 Cummins engines-- I'm sure they have a drinking problem while they have you on plain... You enjoy it and that's what counts...

    I hope your parents post all the stats and trials and tribulations of what you have been thru on your Long Loop...

    I hope your Fathers health is well-- Please keep all your followers posted...

    ReplyDelete