Thursday, July 12, 2012

I LIED!!!!!

July 12, 2012  Dateline: St. Mary’s City. MD USA
Last evening the sunset at the Tides was picture perfect.  Carol got this picture as it was going down, see what you think.






The other day, I said that it was a day of lasts and that I would not be going to any place new. Well today I went to a place that was new to me and Rich and Carol as well..  This morning I left the Tides Inn at 9 AM on my way to St Mary’s City to anchor out for the night.  The trip was smooth as the bay was relatively calm and I made the 62 miles in a little over 5 hours.  I got there first and set my anchor. MID LIFE CRY-SEAS II came next to me, dropped her anchor and we rafted together.  I had never been to St Mary’s before; it is really a nice place.  Rich and Carol put my dinghy down and they went ashore.  Here is a picture of me and MID LIFE CRY-SEAS II rafted together.
The town of St Mary’s was founded in the mid 1600’s and was the original capital of the Maryland Colony.  It flourished for approximately 60 years and then it passed into oblivion.  The centuries past and the wooden buildings rotted away and the many artifacts were buried under layers of dirt.  Today the town consists of the St Mary’s College and an architectural dig of the old city.  As the old city was uncovered, some of the buildings were rebuilt on the old foundations.  The old city is now an exhibition area and includes a replica of the DOVE, one of the ships that brought some of the original settlers to Maryland from England.
Today, St Mary’s is a college town.  The school is a four year liberal arts school.  Rich and Carol had dinner at the school cafeteria; the meal was $12 for all you could eat.  The food was surprisingly good.
Tomorrow I am off to Annapolis and I will see Don and Teresa of GREAT ESCAPE.  I met them almost a year ago in Frankfort. MI.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment