Wednesday, July 11, 2012

THE TIDES INN

July 11, 2012  Dateline: Irvington, VA USA
Yesterday morning started off stormy and rainy.  The dockmaster at the York River Yacht Haven had told Rich that since he paid for two nights I could stay another night free.  However, the skies cleared over Yorktown by mid-morning and Rich and John, of MID LIFE CRY-SEAS II, decided to leave, so we were on our way.  I told Rich to look at the SIRIUS weather display as there were storms all around and Carol asked if we all should go back. Rich told us both that I could go around the storms.  Well it turns out that I did get rained on and the Chesapeake Bay was rough---but not real bad.  The 42 mile run took me about 31\2 hours -not too bad.  MID LIFE CRY-SEAS II followed in my wake for most of the distance and enjoyed the somewhat “smoother” water that I created in my wake.

Rich and Carol really like the TIDES INN located in Irvington, VA.  Me, I was not so crazy about it.  The last time I visited here the docks were old and tired, besides that they were fixed, making getting on and off me for Carol more difficult.  Did I mention that Rich and Carol have adopted a Looper approach to traveling---that being, call for a slip at the last minute.  Well, Carol called while I was under way and she did get me a slip.  It turns out that the marina has been completely redone; the docks are floating and even the pump-out works.  I also got the last large slip.  Lucky for you, Carol!!!!!
Me and PATTI LOU
In my posting about the Bahamas I commented on the size of boats and the impact of relative size.  Well, let me tell you, I am docked next to PATTI LOU who is about 125 feet long.  I am not the big girl any more I am just another average boat.  If she leaves me before me,  I will look big again.


The TIDES INN opened in mid-July 1947 and soon established itself a premier small hotel in the Mid-Atlantic.  The facility caters to those individuals and families who want to get away from it all with boating, swimming, golf, cycling and other activities including croquet, lawn chess and outstanding restaurants.  Because the TIDES was located in a “dry” county in Virginia, it provided a yacht that would take guests across the Rappahannock River to Urbanna, Virginia so they could buy alcohol and  bring it back with them.  The resort has shrunk somewhat in size over the years but it retains its charm and elegance.  One of the restaurants still requires gentlemen to wear jackets to dinner.
Did I mention that Rich and Carol must really like the TIDES as I have been here at least 4 times before; with the new docks I now really like it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment