Wednesday, October 12, 2011

WATER BORN CALIOPE

October 12, 2011  Dateline: Hardin, KY, USA
I started to move again today.  I didn’t go very far, only 19 miles, but it was a good day full of interesting things.  The mornings on the river at this time of year are foggy, so I think that I can count on late morning starts as long as I remain on the rivers.  When I left this morning, after the fog lifted, at 9:30 AM,  I was on the Cumberland River and a short time later I was on the Tennessee River and will remain on it until I get to the Tombigbee Canal.

Suddenly as I traveled on the Tennessee I heard music, it was a strange place to hear music.  I was passed by a boat with a calliope on the roof playing Walt Disney music.  I don’t know how the owners put up with the music all the time but it was really neat.  Notice the pipes on the top of the boat.




When I got to KenLake Marina I noticed this sign on the barge where the office is.  I didn’t know that my sister had a restaurant in Kentucky.  While the restaurant is closed in the evening, Rich, Carol, Wayne and Francine had dinner there.  The dinner was prepared by their friend Pam Atwood who they met two years ago and keeps her boat at this marina.   The dinner was a really good roast beef.

The marina is really nice, here is a picture of it.  Who is that pretty boat in the middle of the picture.  In case you are wondering, it is ME.






Tomorrow I am off to Pebble Isle Marina in Kentucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment