Thursday, December 1, 2011

A STORY OF DOLPHINS AND PELICANS

December 1, 2011  Dateline: Pensacola, FL USA
This morning the owners of JEREMIAH and SWEET PEA came over for a visit and chatted with Rich and Carol as to where I was heading today.  I learned then that I was going to Pensacola, FL.  I was born in Florida so maybe this will be a trip to my home town.  Rich told me that I had a ways to go before I got to my birth town, but that he would make sure I got there before I returned to New Jersey.  The good news was that there would be some open water today and I could run fast, at least for a little while.  Today’s trip would be short but I know the Cats are getting tired of loafing along.
The trip was through narrow channels and for most of it I could not go fast.  I saw these really colorful houses, notice how white the sand is.  The houses were located on a barrier island between the Intercoastal Waterway and the Gulf of Mexico.



Right after some “Slow for Manatee” signs, came this welcome to Florida sign.  I guess Alabama wanted to get me prepared for the manatee zones in Florida.  I saw a fair number of dolphins playing in front of me.  Carol wanted to get some pictures; she adjusted her camera to take rapid pictures.  As things turned out, either she could not find them in the view finder or they just swam away.  Therefore, there are no pictures of dolphins today, maybe tomorrow.

As I approached this narrow cut between the shore and a barrier island, Rich saw a tow coming in the opposite direction.  Rich called the tow and it was agreed that I would circle for a while until he cleared the cut.  Good idea Rich!!!!  So around in circles I went just like an airplane in a holding pattern.



About an hour after I arrived at Palafox Marina in Pensacola, SWEET PEA, JEREMIAH and NAUTI NELL arrived.  It was good to visit with some old friends
I saw this heron land on the canvas top of another boat in the marina, it was funny to watch.  The heron thought that his feet would grab on the canvas, they did not and the heron slide along for about a foot.  Fortunately for me, he had no thought of landing on me.




Pensacola is a city that has existed under 5 different flags, Spanish, French, English, Confederate, and the United States.  Its architecture reflects the differences.  Some of the building have covered walkways in front of them they are pretty neat.


Pensacola is a Navy town; more specifically it is a Navy and Marine Aviation town.  The town also has a number of pelicans; these three stand together, while the Navy and Marine pelicans stand guard on a main street road island.


Docked next to me in Pensacola harbor is the Global 1200 operated for the Dubai Petroleum Establishment.  She is a 500 foot offshore service boat designed to lay up to 60 inch concrete coated pipe in waters up to 3,000 meters.  Her large crane can lift up to 1,200 long tons.  The large white pipe looking structure on the left is a 400 foot “stinger” to guide the pipe to the ocean floor.  Her naming ceremony was held during September 2010 in Singapore.

Tomorrow will be another short day I will be off to Sandestin, FL

No comments:

Post a Comment