Tuesday, August 9, 2011

OPEN WATER AND DARK CLOUDS


August 9, 2011  Dateline Drummond Island, Michigan USA

Plain Jane and Rock Chalk left Meldrum Bay before 6 AM this morning because the weather was projected to be horrible in the afternoon and they wanted to get to Drummond before it blew in.  I got to sleep in a little longer but got on my way by 6:50.  The trip to Drummond was only about 35 miles and I got there in a little more than 2 hours. 

I had to wait two hours for the Customs and Border Patrol to clear me into the US , but Rich and Carol were free to get off of me until the agent arrived.  No problem, he asked a few questions and the three of us could do whatever we wanted.
Just after lunch the dark clouds began to roll in.  These were some of the meanest looking cloud that I have ever seen.  See what you think when you look at these pictures that Rich took.

At the Drummond Island Yacht Haven there was a boat called Lollygag.  The boat is doing the Great Loop.  Rich understands that it was built by its owner using parts he purchased at home improvement centers.  Lollygag is powered by an outboard engine when there is insufficient wind to fill her sails.  Her generator is wind driven.


Rich asked the marina to lift me out of the water so he could check my propellers.  One blade on my starboard prop had a bend in it.  Out came one of my spares and on it went, then, I was put back in the water.  Rich and I are really happy to be out of the shallow waters and moving into deep Lake Michigan.

A beautiful Kadey Krogen express trawler called Coconuts was also in the marina.  She is a beautiful boat that her owner rebuilt in 2010.  She was taken into a narrow cove to anchor for the night and on her way out she hit a rock.  She mangled a prop, bent a shaft and tore up one rudder.  Now I know there are only two kinds of boats on the Georgian Bay and the North Channel.  Those who hit a rock and those who have not (but they are likely lying about it).

No comments:

Post a Comment