Tuesday, August 2, 2011

ROCKS, ROCKS AND MORE ROCKS

August 2, 2011  Dateline Byng Inlet Ontario Canada
As there was no internet last night, today will be a two day post.  After the port engine was realigned and a reconditioned propeller delivered to me, Rich, Carol and I went to the fuel dock to get me some diesel.  Love that stuff!  After an hour using their slow “sail boat pump” I was ready to leave the dock.  I took on 1,021 liters or about 269 gallons.  I had traveled some 250 miles and had run the generator for about 15 hours at 2 gallons per hour. 
After I left Midland yesterday Rich and Carol took me to Henry’s Fish Restaurant on Frying Pan Island.  While the General Manager of Bay Port Marina called ahead for a reservation, there was no room at the docks when we got there so we continued on to Killbear.  At Killbear, we met up with Glory Days and Dockers Inn.  Rich and Carol went with the owners of the Glory Days and Dockers Inn to a German restaurant that was at the marina.  The food was good and the service very pleasant.  It was late when dinner finished and we agreed that we would travel together the next day.  Glory Days and Dockers Inn were going to anchor out while I was going to a marina but since both locations were close by we travelled together. The Georgian Bay is full of rocks and the channel weaves among them.  You could be 15 feet from a rock island and be in 45 feet of water.  You can see waves breaking over the rocks that are just above the surface.  Notice the way the wind has forced the branches of the trees to grow in one direction, away from the prevailing wind.
This morning all three of us left Killbear at 8 AM and headed out together.  Dockers Inn led the way.  Along the way I saw this cross made out of rocks, it looked kind of neat.






Here is a channel that I had to pass through.  I suspect that it was not much wider than 3 feet on either side of me.  The water in the channel was 13 feet deep.

One of the early markers in the Georgian Bay was at a place called Pointe Au Baril.  The marker was a barrel on a pole. Below are pictures of the replacement barrel as well as the lighthouse that ultimately replaced the barrel.


Tonight I will be at Wrights Marina in Britt, Ontario along with 6 other Looper boats.  Their owners are going to have a cocktail party in front of me and I get to just float and watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment