Friday, August 5, 2011

WHAT A GREAT DAY!!!

August 4, 2011  Dateline: Killarney, Ontario Canada
After a really rainy morning yesterday and a windy afternoon in Britt on the Bying Inlet I left this morning at 8 AM.  Glory Days, Dockers Inn and Shenanigans left at the same time.  There were two routes to get to Killarney, the Small Craft Channel and the Outside Channel.   The other three boats took the Small Craft Channel; Rich told me that I was going on the outside.  The direction I was taking was in deep water; I like deep water, and is 15 miles shorter.  The scenery was not as pretty but I could throttle up the Caterpillars.  At first the Cats were not happy, they had been running at idle and slow speed for too long and they needed to get back in the groove. It took them about an hour to get back in shape but they did and off I went.  I arrived in Killarney about 11 AM and the other boats arrived at about 3:45, nearly 5 hours later.
I have now traveled 1,000 miles on this trip.
Killarney is a town that exists on a channel between two islands; the channel is lined on both sides with docks.  It exists on a 6 week summer period and a silica mine.  I know about silica sand.  The plastic bottle business has hurt the mine here just as it did in the United States.  The mountains surrounding the cut are white with the silica sand stone.

The water here is aqua colored and very clear.  The picture shows my bow sitting in the marina and the bottom under it.  I was in plenty of water but it is so clear you can see down about 9 feet.




Rich told me that besides Henry’s fresh fried fish restaurant on Frying Pan Island at Sans Soucci, there is also Herbert’s fresh fried fish business here in Killarney.  The business is operated out of an old school bus and the menu consists of a box of four pieces of fish and French fries.  The fish is a combination of Walleye (Pickerel) and Lake Trout caught locally early each morning.  The fish was good and it was certainly very fresh.
As I pulled into my slip I learned that the cut is also used by float planes as a runway.  I am glad that I was tied up when this plane landed.  I doubt that there would have been sufficient room in the cut for the two of us to pass each other.


Rich showed me a picture of Forem II she made it here from Summit, NJ but I doubt that she will make it back.  It is too bad because in her younger days I bet she was a beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment