Tuesday, August 23, 2011

SAND DUNES AND MINERAL SPRINGS

August 22, 2011  Dateline: Frankfort, MI USA
Today was a 40 mile day.  Oddysea, Great Escape and BlueSkies  all left before 7 AM, I dragged behind as usual and was on my way shortly after 7.  I was amazed how quickly Rich and Carol can move when they want to.  The Lake was nice and smooth but as I pulled into Frankfort it was beginning to build and by mid afternoon there were white caps on the lake again.
My route took me past the Sleeping Bear National Park with its white sand dunes that come down to the lake.  The dunes go up from the lake more than 400 feet, they were just incredible.  The park has recently been named as one of the best places to visit in the United States.

How did the town of Frankfort get its name? A man named Frank built a stockade around his house to keep the snow out.  With the passage of time the area became known as Franks Fort, ultimately Frankfort.  Is the story true?  I don’t know.
In Frankfort there is a mineral spring where people can fill their water jugs.  Rich told me that he tried the water and it tasted like iron.  The sign says that the spring’s water can have some beneficial health qualities. Based on Rich’s tasting, it probably takes some getting used to. 


In the marina next to me replicas of the Nina and Pinta are docked and offering tours. These are two of the three ships that Columbus sailed across the Atlantic in 1492 to “the New World”.  As I looked at them I thought about crossing the ocean powered only by the wind.  Those were some sailors.  The picture is of the Nina.

Rich saw this building and thought that it was neat so he took a picture of it.  It is the Betsie Bay Inn.




The weather looks bad for tomorrow, Tuesday,  so I think that I may be staying where I am.  

1 comment:

  1. I like to add an explanation for the origin of the German town Frankfurt that I found on the internet. To cut a long story short ....: After the cloud which was released by Frank the name of the town missed the 's' before 'fu(a)rt'. (funny is this works in German too. Only the 's' has to be changed into 'z' and has to come at the "end"). Understood?

    ReplyDelete