Tuesday, July 26, 2011

MONENTS OF TERROR

July 26, 2011  Dateline Orillia, Ontario Canada
There was no posting for yesterday as it was a scary day.  The trip was supposed to be a short 18 miles and 5 down locks.  Most of the journey was on Lake Simcoe and that leg was about 18 miles long.  There was a vibration in the port propeller, but I kept on going at slow speed.  Suddenly, there was a pop and my 2.5 inch stainless steel propeller shaft snapped at the coupler to the transmission.  The shaft and its propeller slid back and hit the rudder.  Water began to enter the bilge through the key way in the shaft.  Carol called for help and Rich accelerated my starboard engine.  They each put on a life vest----did they have one for me----no.  I had to do my part and I did, I got them the 7+ miles to the Bridge Port Marina where Kyle McDonald and his mechanics got on me as soon as I got to the gas dock.  They got to work and pulled the shaft forward stopping the leak.  They pumped out the water in my bilge and got to work on getting me fixed.
Unfortunately, the efforts to get me fixed in Orillia were hampered because none of the Travel lifts here are strong enough to pick me up.  On July 27 I leave for an all day trip to Midland, Ontario, a distance of 50 miles with 2 locks and the marine railway.  Rich hired a captain to join us on the trip and help control me since I will be running on only one engine and bow thruster.  Have no fear, because I can do it!!!
Stay tuned for the update

No comments:

Post a Comment