Sunday, July 17, 2011

RICH & CAROL CHECK OUT THE BATH TUB

July 17, 2011 Dateline: Peterborough, Ontario Canada
Watermark left Hastings this morning by 7 AM.  Her captain told Rich that the Otonabee River would be very warm (read that as hot) today, originally he said they would be leaving by 6 AM, I guess someone didn’t get up early.  I left about 7:45 and in about half an hour I reached Rice Lake.  Wow was that great, Rich moved my throttles forward, my stern went down, my bow went up and then I was on plane.  That was great; I roared across the lake and caught up with Jeremiah and Seamoore, just before we turned onto the Otonabee River.  For the next several hours I followed them up to the only lock for the day.  The lock was only a small one of 8 feet, but Jeremiah, Seamoore, a pontoon boat and I were jammed into the lock.  My anchor hung over Jeremiah’s dinghy and my swim platform just cleared the closing lock door.  Rich used my wireless controller to get me out of the lock.  He stood on my bow.
In about half a mile I saw this fountain in Peterborough.  It is really
big and must shoot water some 50 feet into the air.

Peterborough is the home of one of the world’s largest lift locks.  The lock consists of two tubs that are connected by hydraulic rams.  Boats sail into either the upper or lower tub.  The upper tub is loaded with an additional foot of water weighing 130 tons.  The additional weight forces the upper tub down and the hydraulic pressure raises the lower tub.  When the tubs are in the final position the gates open and the boats sail out.  Tomorrow morning I go through this lock. The total lift of the lock is 65 feet.




Not only is there a hydraulic lock at Peterborough but there is an aqueduct that I will sail through.  There are all kinds of other interesting things in this town.



Rich and Carol walked the 2 miles to the lock from the marina in nearly 100 degree temperatures.  Carol said she was not going to walk back so she called a taxi.  Rich said it was better to ride back in an air conditioned taxi than walk back.

No comments:

Post a Comment