Wednesday, July 13, 2011

OF TIGHT SQUEEZES AND WEED

July 12, 2011  Dateline Trenton, Ontario Canada

There was no internet access last night or today so this post is a little larger than usual.  Make sure that you read the entire post as there was some interesting comments on Picton.  Rich got this picture of Picton before we left this morning

Today was an easy trip.  The CATs became Caterpillars as we crawled along behind Nauti Nell.  The trip from Picton to Trenton was nice behind the islands with Lake Ontario on the other side of them so the islands blocked the wind.  The biggest waves were about a foot.  I do not like going less than 9 knots in open water, there is not enough water passing around my rudders for them to effectively hold my course.

My thanks go out to Rich, when he got me to the marina in Trenton; he had to put me sideways at the head of a fairway.  The fairway was 78 feet wide and there were boats parked on either side with about 28 feet of beam in the aggregate.  Rich turned me sideways and yes I am overhanging  into the beam of the boats on either end.  Fortunately, the wind was light and coming off of the land.  Rich mumbled something about changing his underwear.  There was a park next to the bulk head that gave me a nice view.  The picture of course was taken looking toward me from the park.  I like my picture taken.
This is the sunset in Trenton last night, the sky was incredible.











July 11, 2011  Dateline Picton, Ontario Canada

Today I took Rich and Carol from Kingston to Picton in Ontario.  It was a short trip only about 35 miles.  Rich’s fat fingers hit the wrong buttons on my chart plotter and succeeded in erasing the route for today’s trip.  After a few minutes of thought they got the route back and off I went, my autopilot showing the way.  The water was flat; there weren’t even ripples in some of the spots.  As I pulled into the sea wall to dock for the night, a sea plane landed and then after a little while it took off again.  I wonder what it is like to fly.  I guess the airplane can’t go for long distances on the water like I can so at the end of the day all is good.
A few other Loopers told Rich and Carol that there was nothing in Picton, so they were going all the way to Trenton, a 10 hour day for them.  The marina here is small and I got tied up to a wall, great job Carol!!!  Clearly there is something in Picton, see the picture of the store that Rich took.  What could be better than a sale on weed?

Picton is a very nice community. It has a large long Main Street with a lot of shops and stores.  Almost everything you could want is on that street and like most Canadians the people in Picton are very helpful.

Like any woman I love to size myself up against the competition.  When Rosebud came into the harbor I asked Rich to get a picture of her.   He told me that she is not nearly as pretty as I am, but I will publish her picture any way.
I suggested that Rich take Carol out for dinner tonight.  Carol looked outside and saw that it was starting to rain.  She decided she did not want to walk up the hill to the restaurant.  She declared an “at anchor day”, which means she will cook on board.

No comments:

Post a Comment