Monday, July 4, 2011

OF OPERATING TABLES and PALLETS

July 4, 2011
I would like to wish everyone a very happy Fourth of July.  Some 235 years ago a great experiment started and it looks like it is still running fine, thanks to all of the world’s people who came here to live, prosper and make it great as well as all of the military people who gave their lives or body parts to prevent it from being destroyed.
Rich and Carol stopped by to see me today.  I am still sitting on the ground, now, without my propellers.   Rich cleaned some soot off of my transom and waxed it.   Carol added some foam to the mattress on the master berth.  Sure -   thinking of themselves again.  I sit on the hard pavement and they want a soft bed----what wimps.
On the right is a picture of my port transmission, in pieces.  There are not many parts but they are big.  The parts are neatly laid out on the pallet---oh I mean the operating table.  The large shaft on the left of the picture is the one that got damaged.  Rich was told that the new shaft came in on Friday.  With any amount of luck, I will be on my way next Friday.  The transmission is simple as there is only forward and reverse and it operates at the same ratio in either direction.
My propellers were sitting close by so Rich got a picture of them as well.  They are nice and shiny now, but that won’t last long once they go back in the water.  They look small in the picture, but they are 3 feet across.

Rich is having my water line cleaned as the fresh water has left a dirty mark around my hull.  I guess he is getting lazy since he is having someone else do it. Carol and Rich went back to Alexandria Bay in the Thousand Islands for the fireworks tonight.  They went back to the same hotel they stayed at last week and, I am told, will have a great view of all of the action over Boldt Castle.  Last night they saw great fireworks over the canal in Oswego. 
Another Laker went by their hotel this afternoon. They are such huge graceful boats.  I don’t, however, think I want to meet one up close and personal. When the Laker came into the channel all of the small boats got out of the way, Rich said that size matters

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I am a bit late in following your blog. Today, sitting in the office (which is definitely worse than sitting on the docks) I read a comment of the CEO of Calpers, Anne Stausboll, on the situation concerning the politicians in your country. I found this quite enlightened and would like to know what your master and captain's view on this is. Probably you also have your own opinion on this and I would like to let know that I share your proudness of your nation and state of the union. Cheers Michael

    ReplyDelete