Friday, July 15, 2011

SIX LOCKS TO THE BEAUTY CONTEST

July 14, 2011  Dateline  Frankford, Ontario Canada

Yesterday was a rest day and today was an easy day.  I did only about 5 miles and six locks.  There were six boats that left Frazer Park this morning and we went out in groups of two.  Each group of two “filled” the lock so the timing prevents me and the other boats from having to wait while the lock cycled through.  These locks are different than those on the Eire Canal.  I have to stop my engines, and then when the lock doors are open they must be started again.  I suspect that is left over from gasoline engines where there is a fear of the lock filling with carbon monoxide.  The lock doors are operated manually.  Each lock has two people working at it.  They each have a “V” shaped handle and they walk around in a circle to open their side of the gate.


After I passed through the 6th lock, Rich and Carol tied me up for the night.  Live Wire, from Hamilton, Ontario,  was tied up at the lock as well and had been for two days, her captain came over to help each boat as it passed through the lock.  I think that he was bored with nothing to do.  Live Wire, an old Mainship was built in New Jersey.

Rich and Carol told me that Frankford is a small town like so many on the Chesapeake.  There is a main street with a few shops two restaurants but not much else.  The spot I am at is spectacular, the sun is warm but the air is dry and not hot.  Tomorrow night there is going to be the Frankford Blues Festival across the canal form where I am, I will be long gone but I bet it will be fun.

There was a beauty contest at Lock #6. All of a sudden someone ran up with a sign and held it up over me.  Guess what I scored?  I wonder what I would have scored if I didn't have that fender hanging down.

No comments:

Post a Comment